Thursday, January 14, 2010

Whose legs are these and what have they done to my appetite??!!!!


Missing:
One good,strong pair of marathon legs; legs that carried me through fast speeds, regardless of the day of the week or how many miles I put on them----through tempo runs, intervals, and slow recovery runs, you were always there, ready to perform.


I have been in mourning the last couple of weeks--------See, I have an addiction to running; not just running---marathon running. I get all sweaty and break out in hives when I realize I have to cut back on my weekly mileage.............for an entire 8 months!!!!!!!!! No, seriously, I would be completely content just running, as I have mentioned before in posts. This week, on my morning run, I came to the conclusion (with a little persuasion from the hubby (who by the way, hates running) that I must get the "marathon training" thoughts out of my head.

It's amazing what high volume running can do to your mind---it's called brainwashing in my opinion. What used to seem like an "easy 5" is now considered an "easy 10". When you do less than 10, and convert back to an "easy 5", it seems like nothing. Not to knock the miles to anyone, but if you have ever trained to this intensity, you feel my pain.

I have, nonetheless come to these conclusions, as I tried to state earlier, but my whining got in the way:)

1) I cannot expect to begin lifting leg weights (as prescribed by coach) and still
experience "fresh legs" when I run. (Did I mention I haven't lifted leg weights
in over 3 years?!!!! Yes, you read that correctly)

2) I cannot expect to bike 4-5 times per week, on top of swimming + leg weights and
still experience "fresh legs" when I run.

3) I cannot expect to have fresh legs for the next 8 months of Ironman training.
Period. Hisssssssssss.

4) I cannot expect to bike,run,swim,lift,work,and repeat without having a CRAZY
appetite which seems uncontrollable in the afternoons. (this really has nothing
to do with "fresh legs". Unless, of course, I gain 100 pounds from letting my
CRAZY appetite take control. Then, I can see where I would NEVER have "fresh
legs ;)



Sigh. Frown. Whine. I miss you already fresh legs :(

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, I totally feel your "pain"! I love running most of all. After your great success in marathons last year, I can totally agree that doing an "easy 5" feels like doing water aerobics with the geriatric folks! However, you know in your speedy lil' heart that the biking, swimming and weights will make you POWERFUL and an IM force to be reckoned with...even if it does make you sore, tired, crabby and ravenous!! Rock on my super athlete friend!!

    ReplyDelete